- Located in the Calumet Point area off of Sheridan Lake
- Size is estimated at 1/4 acre
- Hill City VFD and the U. S. Forest Service Hill City resources are responding
- A Fire Investigator has been ordered to determine cause
Thursday, February 19, 2015
Friday, February 13, 2015
- Located west of Hermosa near Highway 40 off of Skyline Heights Road
- Size is now estimated at 4.6 acres
- Resources responded include the Hermosa VFD, Hayward VFD, Rapid Valley VFD, Keystone VFD, the South Dakota Wildland Fire Rapid City Battalion Chief with Engine 668, and the state Black Hat Hand Crew
- Burning in grass and timber
- A Fire Investigator has determined that the fire was caused by discarded fireplace/stove ashes
- This fire has been called contained
For tips on safely discarding fireplace and stove ashes, please visit: http://wildfire.blog.nfpa.org/2011/12/12-days-of-firewise-dispose-of-fireplace-ashes-properly.html
Saturday, February 7, 2015
The Aero Road Fire located near Rockerville in the area of Neck Yoke Road and Aero Road was called controlled on Monday afternoon and reached a size of 16.02 acres. The update in acreage is due to more accurate mapping abilities, not additional fire growth.
Fire investigators have determined the cause to be discarded stove/fireplace ashes. One single family residential structure sustained serious fire damage to the exterior and interior portions of the house from the wildfire.
There were no reported injuries and no evacuations have occurred.
This fire is currently in patrol status and firefighters will continue to monitor for smoke. Residents may expect to see smoke in the area for the next several days. Residents and visitors are urged to refrain from taking any action in extinguishing small smoke plumes. You should notify local authorities with any concerns.